You must be logged into the Thermal Mermaid Network to post in the forum. Register here (Free members have full access to the forum.)

Notifications
Clear all

Shipping

Pamela Sadler
(@buttercup)
New Member Mermaid
Topic starter  

I just went to the Post Office to find the shipping cost.  For one bar (about 4.25 oz.) $5.40 and for two $6.20.  This is in a padded envelope. How do you ship your soaps and what do you pay?

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
thermalmermaid
(@thermalmermaid)
Active Member Admin

This is an interesting question, because for two decades my actual business was almost entirely mail order, and the rate of shipping has gone from a reasonable cost to something the consumer will now hesitate when they consider. Depending on where you live, the USPS has always been the least expensive, next is UPS, and then Fed EX. Even the UPS business discount is a bit higher than USPS priority. Now, one thing you can look into is the Endicia / USPS program where there is a slight business discount for outgoing priority shipments. As I recall it was anywhere from .15 - .80 less expensive than the price you are charged when you stand in line at the post office. (There is also a monthly fee) I do not know what changes or updates are recent because I am grandfathered in to the software / program that is almost 20 years old. (Evidently there were too many customer complaints when they tried to end the old software because thermal printers last forever..... and the old software is compatible with all the old thermal printers.)  Anyway,the cost of shipping has more than doubled in the last 10 years, so to get the value out of the shipping cost you may want to consider selling soap by the 3/6 pack. The USPS prices are marked to the lb. .... so soap between 0-1 lb. has one postage price, 1-2 lbs the next higher price, 2-3 lbs etc... so selling 1 lb. 2 oz.  ships the same as 1 lb. 14 oz. ... You could make the shipping feel more reasonable if you set it to packs that total in weight just under the cutoff for the next higher tier......

ReplyQuote
Pamela Sadler
(@buttercup)
New Member Mermaid
Topic starter  

My soap weighs approximately 4.25 oz. Some have suggested using Pirate for shipping.  So think I will try it. I could do a special price with quantity on shipping. Also, I will continue my craft shows which may be a problem with Covid.  I have only done one this year with soap.  I have a few other plans to try to promote locally. I will continue to develop my Etsy shop. 

ReplyQuote
Share: